Care You Can Do at Home
Keep Your Piano Clean at All Times
What kind of care is required?
- To protect your piano from dust or dirt, keep clean the surface of the finish always.
- Lightly brush off surface dust using a piano feather duster or soft cloth.
- Before using piano wax or polish, consult with the store where you purchased the piano, or a specialty piano store. Depending on the piano model, some types or brands of wax and polish may not be acceptable.
- Avoid using chemical-impregnanted wipes or cleaning agents which are not designed for piano because their chemical compositions may not suit for piano's finish.
- Wipe gently using a soft cloth (use separate clothes to wipe down keyboard and piano finishes).
- When dirt is noticeable, dampen a cloth in a dilute solution of a neutral detergent, wring out well, and use this cloth to wipe away the dirt.
- Never use any kind of alcohol such as rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol because it can cause cracking.
- Generally speaking, the best thing to do is to refrain from playing with dirty hands.
Musical Instrument Guide : Piano Contents
How to Play
How the Instrument is Made
Choosing an Instrument
Care and Maintenance
- The White Keys and Black Keys Were Reversed on Pianos in Mozart's Day
- Did Mozart's Piano Have a Pedal-Board?
- Piano with Automatic Accompaniment System in Beethoven's Day
- The Pianos Beloved by the Great Master, Sviatoslav Richter
- The Optimal Material for Piano Frames Is Also Ideal for Motorcycle Engines
- The Piano Soundboard Is a Board that Also Stops Vibrations
- Why Can't There Be More Than 88 Keys on a Piano?
- Why a Grand Piano Keyboard Feels Heavier Than an Upright Keyboard?